Kings County Record Up-to-the-minute news from communities all across New Brunswick – including breaking news, analysis, feature stories, opinions, local coverage, photos, video and more.
- Sussex talent showcased on Just for Laughs specialby Dione Wearmouth on August 14, 2022 at 12:24 am in news
Sussex comedian Darren Elmore is featured on the Just for Laughs comedy original, ‘Stand Up Atlantic: Dirty Dank Data.’ Elmore is joined by fellow Sussex comedian Tim Steeves on the special, which is available for streaming on Apple Music and Spotify.
- Churches used to serve as community hubson August 13, 2022 at 11:26 am in columnist
Pictured in the Silas James Memorial United Church in Apohaqui. The church closed earlier in the year due to financial issues.
- Maritime artists gathering in Cornhill for annual eventon August 12, 2022 at 7:30 pm in news
The annual Artists in the Garden event is taking place from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. this Saturday and Sunday. Artists from across Atlantic Canada will be setting up shop at the Corn Hill Nursery on 2700 Route 890 to sell a range of goods from metalwork to pottery.
- RSC8 offering free household waste recycling eventon August 11, 2022 at 7:36 pm in news
All residents of Regional Service Commission 8 are invited to take part in a Mobile Eco Depot on Saturday, Aug. 27. The depot will be available at the Young’s Cove One Stop at 10995 Route 10 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Aggressive health recruitment persists in Kings Countyby Dione Wearmouth on August 11, 2022 at 7:35 pm in health care
Sussex Mayor Marc Thorne (left) and Hampton Mayor Bob Doucet said work is being done on a municipal level to recruit doctors to their towns. In Sussex, recruitment work is also being done to bring more nurses into the community, while in Hampton, the town offers a variety of financial incentives aimed at getting physicians to start up new practices.
- Sussex library hosting weekend book saleon August 11, 2022 at 3:19 pm in news
The Sussex Regional Library will be offering a book sale through this weekend. The cash-only sale is taking place at the Belleisle Gardens at 931 Main St. in Sussex.
- Live professional wrestling returning to Sussexby Dione Wearmouth on August 11, 2022 at 11:34 am in sports
Sussex wrestler Mark Thomas is pictured training in this photo. He will return to action in his hometown on August 26 at the 8th Hussars Centre.
- Hampton fire crews handle ‘substantial’ increase in callsby Dione Wearmouth on August 10, 2022 at 1:09 pm in city hall
Norton and Hampton fire departments are pictured assisting with a house fire in this file photo. According to Todd Beach, head of Hampton’s Protective Services Committee, Hampton fire crews put in what is normally about three months’ worth of hours during the month of July alone.
- UPDATE: Hampton takes flight on monarch butterfly pledgeby Dione Wearmouth on August 10, 2022 at 1:08 pm in news
Katie Turner with Nature NB hosted a booth at Hampton’s Canada Day celebration to educate residents on the Mayor’s Monarch Pledge and the importance of the monarch butterfly. The Town of Hampton first signed the Mayor’s Monarch Pledge in 2021, and it remains the only community to do so in New Brunswick.
- MAS offering a range of August programmingon August 9, 2022 at 7:10 pm in news
The Multicultural Association of Sussex is hosting a multitude of programs throughout the month of August. On Saturday, Aug. 13, the organization is teaming up with the Sussex Regional Library to offer a coffee social hour for residents to introduce themselves to longtime Sussex residents and community newcomers.
- CCMA Female Artist of the year to perform in Sussex Saturdayby Dione Wearmouth on August 8, 2022 at 9:00 pm in arts & entertainment
Canadian country star Tenille Townes will be performing in Sussex on Saturday, Aug. 13 along with Jason Benoit, Ben Chase and Melissa Marshall. Performances will kick off at 7p.m. at the 8th Hussars Sports Centre.
- Sussex homeowner hospitalized, man arrestedon August 8, 2022 at 2:47 pm in courts & crime
RCMP in Sussex arrested a Sussex man who faces multiple charges including aggravated assault, break and enter and attempted arson.
- Museum to unveil tool collection, host harvest-themed eventby Dione Wearmouth on August 7, 2022 at 9:45 pm in news
The Agricultural Museum of New Brunswick will host an open house and annual harvest day event. Both events are free, but donations to the museum can be made at the front door.
- Community of Hampton has a ‘twin’on August 7, 2022 at 12:37 am in columnist
Anna Saindon, organizer of the yard sale. The history of the Hampton-Piggs Partnership spans many years, multiple generations, and countless interconnections.
- Management rolling up sleeves to address labour shortageby Dione Wearmouth on August 7, 2022 at 12:37 am in news
Griffin’s Pub waitresses, Grace Warren, Miranda Collins and Emma Hiscock. The Oromocto restaurant needs eight more workers to alleviate staff shortages.
- PHOTOS: Top kickers ready to battle at soccer provincialsby Dione Wearmouth on August 5, 2022 at 7:55 pm in sports
The 2022 Hampton U15 girls team is hosting the provincial tournament on Aug. 27 and 28. Games will take place at the Hampton High and Middle School fields.
- Consumers enduring soaring speciality food costsby Dione Wearmouth on August 5, 2022 at 7:54 pm in news
According to the Moncton Chapter of the Canadian Celiac Association, gluten-free foods have always been substantially more costly.
- PHOTOS: Family camper stolen ahead of long weekendby Dione Wearmouth on August 4, 2022 at 7:53 pm in courts & crime
Rob Tremblett and his two children camping, 9-year old Sawyer and 5-year-old Everly. The Apohaqui family had their travel trailer stolen from their yard one day before the New Brunswick Day long weekend.
- Car stolen on Industrial Drive: RCMPon August 4, 2022 at 7:53 pm in courts & crime
The Sussex RCMP is asking residents to be on the lookout for a blue 2016 Toyota Scion IM with the license plate number JVL 391. According to an RCMP press release, the vehicle was stolen from Industrial Drive some time on Tuesday, August 2.
- Staff shortage closing ER at night: Horizonon August 4, 2022 at 3:29 pm in news
Sussex Health Centre will cut emergency room hours for the weekend due to a staff shortage. The department will be closing at 5:30 p.m. on the evenings of Friday, Aug. 5, Saturday, Aug. 6 and Sunday, Aug. 7.
- It’s a scorcher: Heat warning for Kings County againon August 4, 2022 at 11:30 am in weather
Environment Canada is forecasting some hot, humid weather for communities across the Kings County.
- Maritime comedians return for comedy jamboreeby Dione Wearmouth on August 3, 2022 at 8:46 pm in arts & entertainment
Sussex comedian Darren Elmore will headlining the first Sussex All Star Comedy Jamboree. Elmore will be taking the stage once again this year for the show at the All Seasons Inn and Restaurant.
- Mom reignites classic reading program for summerby Dione Wearmouth on August 2, 2022 at 8:13 pm in news
The Hepburn family, Asher, Cedar, Opal, Adam, Lilla, Savannah, Gideon and Haydn. Savannah Hepburn Penny started the classic reading program while living in Orangeville, Ontario, but has since brought it to Hampton. She said the program gained a superising amount of participants, as she has had 40 children sign up this year.
- Gridiron guidance: Football association needs coachesby Dione Wearmouth on August 2, 2022 at 8:12 pm in sports
Sussex Peewee Football Team 2022 after a win. Hughanna Dunfield said seven coaches are still needed for the season to help with the U10, U12, U14 and U16 teams.
- Armed Forces plan training exercises in townon August 2, 2022 at 6:05 pm in news
Canadian Armed Forces members will be participating in training activities in the Sussex area from Aug. 12-16. Residents can expect to hear loud noises and shouting from DND property during this time.
- 181-year-old fair returns after two-year hiatusby Dione Wearmouth on August 1, 2022 at 8:47 pm in news
The Kings County Agricultural Fair is a 181-year-old tradition that is returning to Sussex after being postponed for the last two years.